[lug] System.map

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Mon Nov 8 17:16:23 MST 1999

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> Also, if you build a new kernel for whatever reason, then the one
> in /usr/src/linux is not correct.  I always as a matter of course
> copy System.map to /boot/System.map-<version>

Rob Riggs wrote
> I always copy my System.map to a version specific file-name and
> make a symlink. Currently my /boot/System.map looks like this:
>
> System.map -> ./System.map-2.2.13pre17+raid+ipsec

I want be able to boot various versions of Linux on my machine
using different kernel versions.  I had hoped to simply put the
various kernels into a boot partition and let lilo take care of
the rest.  But from what you guys are saying, I should use a
separate boot partition for kernel version I plan to use, since
there can be only one System.map file in a /boot filesystem?

Lynn