[lug] Compaq Smart-2 Array with Redhat 6.1 is super slow.

cstpierre at gilead.com cstpierre at gilead.com
Tue Nov 9 08:46:31 MST 1999

Thank you for your help.  I found the problem that was slowing down the
system.  It wasn't the array driver like I thought it was.  The memory was
showing up as 14MB when the actual size is about 160MB.  I put a append
="mem=160M" into my lilo.conf and it was became speedy like it should be.

Thanks Gary.

                    Gary Masters
                    <gmasters at devcg.den        To:     Boulder Linux Users Group <lug at lug.boulder.co.us>
                    ver.co.us>                 cc:
                    Sent by:                   Subject:     Re: [lug] Compaq Smart-2 Array with Redhat 6.1 is super
                    lug-admin at lug.bould        slow.
                    er.co.us

                    11/08/1999 05:44 PM
                    Please respond to
                    lug

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999 cstpierre at gilead.com wrote:

> I have done several installs of RH 6.1 on PC's without array controllers
> and they all seem to take less than an hour to complete.  Today I am
> working on a Compaq Prosignia 500 with a Smart-2 controller and the
actual
> software copy over is estimated to take almost six hours.  Any one have
any

I've installed Linux on two systems with Compaq Smart-2P controllers.
One was an AP400 and the other a Proliant 2500.  The AP400 has RedHat
6.0 and the Proliant has S.u.S.E. 6.1.  I encountered nothing like you
describe.

I'll discuss the Proliant since I was more sane when I built it.  The
system has five 9 GB disks.  These are configured as two mirrored
pairs, and a hot spare.  The largest filesystem I created was about
4.5 GB [one half of one of the 9 GB logical disks].  Nothing unusual
was observed, and the installation took the usual amount of time, plus
the time required to configure the array, and the additional time
needed to create filesystems on 18 GB of storage.

--
  Gary Masters
  gmasters at devcg.denver.co.us