[lug] transfer rates on 10mb ethernet

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Nov 9 19:50:44 MST 1999

On Tue, Nov 09, 1999 at 05:10:36PM -0700, Ian Hall-Beyer wrote:
>On Tue, 9 Nov 1999 17:06:55 -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
>>You can get the RealTek 10/100 PCI cards for practicly nothing these days,
>>and they'll give you between 3 to 5MBps.
>
>For that matter, the NetGear tulip-based card really hauls ass, and
>it's only about 20 bucks.

I was really digging them until about 6 months ago when they changed
the chipset and it started requiring that you ping from a remote host
before the driver would come up.  Netgear distributed a fixed driver
for Linux -- in a Self-extracting ZIP file.  <sigh>

I don't know if these changes have been propogated into a production
kernel.

Sean
--
 "Having computers is a lot like having kids, except it's not as much of a
 problem if they die while you're away."  -- Sean Reifschneider, 1997