[lug] Loasing DATE in Linux

Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Fri Nov 12 09:39:24 MST 1999

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, David Willcox wrote:

> Does anyone know why the date would lose a day after setting it?
>
> I used -> date mmddhhmmCCYY and it was fine for a day. I think during
> the kernel build that I selected the Greenich time option or under
> linuxconf I might have set it for UTC.

Did you reboot the computer between the time you set the clock and checked
it again?  In Linux you can set the clock without updating the BIOS clock.
I'd guess that this is what you did.  When you reboot, Linux initializes
its clock by asking for the date and time from the BIOS clock.  If the
BIOS clock is off by a day you'd lose a day when you reboot the system.

That's my first guess anyway ...

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)