[lug] XConfig and Exceed

Harris, James A (Jim) HarriJA at LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM
Fri Nov 12 15:05:42 MST 1999

Well, Exceed isn't too hard, but there's a _lot_ of stuff you can do with
it, so "setup" is a fairly relative term.  We use it heavilly here at work
and I could probably give you a hand with anything you need to know.

To start, you'll probably want just an xterm.  So here's a basic instruction
on how to do that.  Later on, I could give ya some instructions on how to
set Exceed up to do full XDMCP Query, but that relies on your Linux box
being configured properly and probably exceeds the scope of emailing you
instructions.

OK... one of two ways to do this.  Depends on how lazy you want to be:

1) More steps but more true to a Linux geeky way...
--Launch the raw Exceed X Server on your Win98 box.  This can be done by
going to Start-->Programs-->Exceed and clicking the plain old "Exceed" icon.
---You will see a task appear in the task bar titled "Exeed", but it will
appear to be doing nothing.  That's 'cause it's not.  :)  It's simply
waiting.
--Next... use the plain old Windows Telnet to telnet into your linux box.
--At your shell prompt, type: DISPLAY=$REMOTEHOST':0.0'     (type that
verbatim)
---That'll tell your linux box to display all X programs on your Win98 box.
--Then, just type: xterm &
---You should see an Xterm appear on your Win98 box.  You can, of course,
run anything from there, or the telnet session and it'll display back on
your 98 machine.  To make life easier in the future, you could add:
DISPLAY=$REMOTEHOST':0.0'; export DISPLAY    to your .profile so the DISPLAY
variable is set automatically when you login.

2) Lazy Win98 way using Exceed's xstart program...
--Go to Start-->Programs-->Exceed and click the xstart icon.  It'll pop up a
window with some stuff you need to set.
--In the "Start Method" field, select "Rlogin"
--Leave the "Program Type" at "XWindow"
--Fill in the UserID field with your Linux login
--Put the Linux machine't hostname in the "Hostname" field
--Put your password in the "Password" field
--Don't worry about the "Host Type" field.  Exceed will figure it out and
set itself accordingly... this is just for overriding it if you have
problems...
--Fill the "Command" line field in with the following:  xterm -display @d
--- Note: the @d is an Exceed specific variable.. it replaces that with your
hostname and a :0.0 so the command looks like "xterm -display hostname:0.0"
to the linux end
--Click the "Run!" button on the file menu at the top to test it
--The "Prompt" fields will allow you to set what kind of security you want
to use... if you leave it at "None" it'll save your password with this file.
If it's a home machine, this is probably cool, but at work... we sure as
heck don't let people use this option.  If you select "Login Info" it'll
remember the UserID (if you put one in) and prompt you for your password.
If you select "Account Info" it'll prompt you for the hostname, UserID and
password.
--You can also click the "Show on the Client Startup Menu" box.
---I recommend checking that box as it will allow you to launch the boring
old Exceed Server, right click the icon in the tray, select Tools-->Client
Startup and then select the session you just setup.  A bit quicker, in my
opinion, that setting up a bunch of shortcuts on your desktop.  Specially if
you have a million sessions defined like I do at work...

Anywho, this should get you started.  Exceed has some perty neat
capabilities, but it'd probably be advantageous to explore thos later and
personally so as not to flood the group with conversation.

Let me know if you have any more questions...

James Harris
EDS PC Deskside Systems Administrator / StorageTek Account
Phone:  303.661.8763  /  Fax:  303.661.4905