[lug] Partitioning for 500mb installation

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at netinfra.net
Sat Nov 13 16:30:48 MST 1999

On Sat, Nov 13, 1999 at 01:40:12AM -0700, Trey Beck wrote:
> I'm trying to install red hat 6.0 on a 486/66 with a 500 mb hard drive for
> use as a firewall/router. What partioning scheme should I use? Is there a
> way to find out the minimum packages that I need to install?

Absolute best thing to do: Remove all the garbage about XWindows right off the
bat.  For that machine, XWin will be a waste.

Second thing is to choose packages individually. When going through the list,
decide if you think it's important or not.  If it is, you'll find out later,
and can install it later.

Good spots to look though would be in the howto's, under NET-3, Firewall, and
IPChains.

--
Michael J. Pedersen
WhoDP: whodp://earth.activerse.com/pedersen