[lug] PHP3, MySQL and Debian?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Nov 13 23:46:57 MST 1999

Hi all, long time reader of the BLUG list, first time for questions.
Used to work in Boulder and kept promising myself that I'd make it to a
BLUG meeting... now working in Downtown Denver and don't ever seem to
find time to drive to Boulder anymore.  (Sigh...)

I'm looking for someone who's used the Debian package called
php3-mysql.  I installed this package, the mysql-server and
mysql-clients packages, and the requisite php3 package and haven't yet
had any success in getting php3 scripts to talk to the MySQL database.

Just not sure if the package maintainer goofed and it's not compiled
with the right options for mysql, or (more likely) if I missed a
configuration step. Output from phpinfo(); shows NOTHING about MySQL in
the modules section.

Most of the docs for php3 and MySQL together suggest getting the source
and compiling from scratch, which I can certainly do -- I just thought
it would be nice to stick within the package system so updates/upgrades
would happen semi-automatically and things wouldn't break too badly... I
know, it's a pipe dream, but with well-maintained packages it works.

Anyway, if anyone on the BLUG list has successfully used the php3-mysql
package on a Debian (potato/unstable) system, let me know.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com