[lug] I just discovered StarOffice 5.1

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Sun Nov 14 21:46:11 MST 1999

Thus spoke cstpierre at gilead.com
> I found StarOffice 5.1 on Sun's site ( http://www.sun.com/staroffice ) and
> wanted to know what fellow Linux users think of it.  Are there any issues
> with the internet browser?  My brief testing of the product left me fairly
> impressed.  I downloaded it for both RedHat 6.1 running Gnome and the
> Microsoft version, its running on Win98.

Its got a good import/export system, which is about the only thing I use it
for.  That and the fact that publishers require me to use it so we can keep
change bars in order.

Its desktop is clunky and gets in my way.  Others may not feel that way
about it.  To me, the extra features are just bloat.  I just need a word
processor.

I haven't used the Internet Browser.  Netscape fills that role for me.

I prefer Applix over StarOffice (and WordPerfect and all the others I've
tried).  I do most of my work there and then export in .doc format for
submitting to my publishers.  I'm stuck with editing in StarOffice due to
their requirements.  Its not awful to do so, but I prefer Applix's
interface.  Its just less cluttered.
--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |   And your crybaby whiny-assed opinion would