[lug] Linux FileServer Problems

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Nov 15 13:39:31 MST 1999

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Deck <deckm at cleansoft.com> writes:

Michael> There's a few things I didn't tell you :) This drive was
Michael> originally installed into a machine that didn't have a
Michael> translating BIOS, so it originally had ON-TRACK. The machine
Michael> it's going into now definitely has LBA so I told it to use
Michael> LBA. I could try turning that off, and seeing if it finds the
Michael> software LBA fix on the HDD. But I thought that I'd used this
Michael> once in a machine that *did* have LBA and I was pretty sure
Michael> I'd wiped that thing off the drive.

ick. Those ON-TRACK things can be nasty...if there is any way to make
sure it's gone, that would help.

Michael> The message was "no operating system found," i.e. it's not
Michael> finding LILO. No part of the LILO prompt was displaying, just
Michael> that one message after it tried to hit the HDD.

ah. So it's the bios.

Michael> I can swap master/slave on that string -- right now the CDROM
Michael> is master and the HDD is slave. Is that the problem?

That might be confusing it. I know some older bios wouldn't boot from
a slave device...

>> Are they FAT16 or FAT32 partitions?  If it's fat32, you might have
>> to explicitly tell it to use vfat instead of fat...ie:
>>
>> mount -t vfat -o rw /dev/hdc1 /mnt/cdrive

Michael> This is an ugliness too. I think that one of the drives is
Michael> FAT16, the other registers as linux file type 'b',
Michael> Win95. That was new to me.

yeah, thats vfat aka fat32. The above command should work for that
drive.

Michael> Michael Deck Cleanroom Software Engineering, Inc.

kevin
--
Kevin Fenzi
MTS, tummy.com, ltd.