[lug] Linux FileServer Problems

Pedersen, Michael J PederMJ at LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM
Mon Nov 15 13:55:01 MST 1999

Yeah, you're on the right track here, definitely.  I'll explain why later in
this reply.

>Unfortunately, fdisk /mbr doesn't work :( However, KRUD does include a
dosutil to restore the MBR which is another thing I >haven't tried yet.
> [snip]
>Disk Druid first, then after the boot problems I went throught it all again
with fdisk, mimicking another Linux box that >works fine.

Okay, that's exactly what should have been done. Unfortunately, it didn't
fix it.  Use the mbr restore utility from KRUD, and see if that can get rid
of it.  Unfortunately, I've never found out how to make lilo write a fresh
mbr, so can't help you there.

> The drive is r/o for group and users, rw for root. At some happy day in
the future, I'll move all this stuff into extfs >partitions. But for now I
need to be able to boot Windoze in order to back up...

There you go, then.  That's exactly what I had happening, that drove me
batty.  By default, for reasons which are unclear to me (I've never dug into
the source for the kernel or for mount), when you mount a vfat/fat file
system, the permissions for the mount point (and all subdirectories) are set
to be, if memory serves, 744. Use that line I gave you from the previous
email in your /etc/fstab, and that issue will be resolved at least.  As for
fixing the mbr, I'm hoping somebody else here will have that figured out for
you.