[RE: [lug] DSL service]

Justin glowecon at netscape.net
Mon Nov 15 15:02:32 MST 1999

"Howell, Jeff S" <HowelJS at LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM> wrote:
> Well, here's my problem with USWest. I'm getting my DSL through LMI.net.
> $70/month 256k sDSL with one static/public IP. That includes ISP cost.
>
> I have been monitoring Megabit for a long time and they haven't made any
> progress into my area. When LMI net (My current dialup ISP) announced DSL
> access here, I did the math.... 70 for DSL. $40 for a mobile phone vs. $96
> for 2 phone lines and 20 for ISP.... hmmm 5x the bandwidth and 6 bucks
> cheaper... with the additional befefit of not (directly) giveing
UselessWest
*snip*

Forever what it is worth I am running my home network of 5 computers through
my linux box via a cable modem from TCI at home (well now AT&T). I've noticed a
few posts on DSL and it's availability, random gripes, and the such. Has
anyone checked to see if cable is available in your area? I have had my cable
modem for over 4 months now and it has performed great, with exception to
minor outages every now and then (but I'll put up w/ those before I ever go
back to dialup). I don't have the option of DSL in our area yet so I can't
compare personally. I can however compare the prices I have seen. I pay a
total of $42.00 a month for my cable service and if I was to add additional
ip's it would be +$5 more. Personally even if DSL was available in my area I
would go with cable modem, no isp charges, no dealing with multiple company's
and all that crap. Plus they send out tech's within 2-3 days max if you have
trouble, and unless you need the modem replaced there is no reason you'd have
to have a tech come out. Anyhow, my thoughts on that whether they are relevant
or not...hehe.

                Justin