[RE: [lug] DSL service]

Elizabeth O. Coolbaugh cool at eklektix.com
Mon Nov 15 15:06:25 MST 1999

> Forever what it is worth I am running my home network of 5 computers through
> my linux box via a cable modem from TCI at home (well now AT&T). I've noticed a
> few posts on DSL and it's availability, random gripes, and the such. Has
> anyone checked to see if cable is available in your area? I have had my cable
> modem for over 4 months now and it has performed great, with exception to
> minor outages every now and then (but I'll put up w/ those before I ever go
> back to dialup). I don't have the option of DSL in our area yet so I can't
> compare personally. I can however compare the prices I have seen. I pay a
> total of $42.00 a month for my cable service and if I was to add additional
> ip's it would be +$5 more. Personally even if DSL was available in my area I
> would go with cable modem, no isp charges, no dealing with multiple company's
> and all that crap. Plus they send out tech's within 2-3 days max if you have
> trouble, and unless you need the modem replaced there is no reason you'd have
> to have a tech come out. Anyhow, my thoughts on that whether they are relevant
> or not...hehe.
>
>                 Justin

Cable modems are supposed to be slowly becoming available in the
Boulder area, since June.  However, I'm theoretically on a list to get
automatic notification when they *do* become available for me
personally and I have not heard a word.  I remain interested, because
the wiring in my neighborhood is so poor, that I can't get a clean
line of good enough quality to run DSL.  Meanwhile, as I've mentioned
before, the microwave link I use is also around $50 per month and
is much better than dialup for anyone unable to get DSL.

Liz