[lug] Modems for LINUX

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at netinfra.net
Tue Nov 16 22:25:49 MST 1999

On Mon, Nov 15, 1999 at 03:32:32PM -0700, David Willcox wrote:
> Need some help with selecting Modem for Linux 6.0 or 6.1. Should I go Internel
> or Externel , if Internel do I select one for an open 16-bit slot or do you think I could go with a PCI Internel? If so what type would you suggest ?

External is always the easiest to set up.  External modems, in my opinion,
were the original plug and play devices.  Either the modem worked when you
plugged it in, or it didn't.  If it didn't, it was dead and needed returning.
Only one time have I seen it happen any other way, and that was due to
improper plugging in of a cable inside the case.  Every other time, the modem
was dead if it didn't work straight out of the box.  It might have needed
configuring, but it was always set to work.

--
Michael J. Pedersen
WhoDP: whodp://earth.activerse.com/pedersen