[lug] Countdown to Installfest #4

Charles Morrison cmorrison at info2000.net
Thu Nov 18 21:51:44 MST 1999

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> Great work Chuck!  I think it's really exciting that there was a good
> Linux buzz at Comdex.

There was a "Linux Business Expo" section at Comdex. This was about football
field sized building and only contained linux based (plus some bsd) business
booths. There was a lot of traffic and a lot of people ignorant of Linux
stopped by to find out what all the fuss was about. I enjoyed talking with
people who showed up at the booth. Lots of variety. Rumour has it that one of
the people I was talking with was Michael Dell, although his name tag
was turned around and I didn't recognize him.

> Maybe you'll want to talk about some of the things that you learned there
> in the "Demo Theater" on Saturday.

Sure, although I can't really say I "learned" a whole lot. My main activities
were divided between helping to get the "email garden" set up - 50 PCs running
linux (made available by VA Linux) so people could check their email,  manning
the VA booth, handing out free copies of Debian, and enlisting support for
our installfest from the various vendors - much success there ! :-). I didn't
really get much chance to learn much outside of those activities.

Chuck Morrison
Sr. Systems Engineer
VA Linux Systems - Denver