[lug] Athalon question.

Jason Crosswhite jason at newberry.uoregon.edu
Fri Nov 19 12:42:05 MST 1999

Hey guys,

A friend of mine is attempting to come in from dark side with his next
machine.  He does research at home, same as me, and needs something that
crunches numbers hard.  I'm also in for a CPU upgrade some time soon,
and wonder about the following myself.  He sent me the following query,
and I thought I'd throw it out to the common wisdom.  What do you think?

>I have a linux question, if you don't mind?  Do Athlons work okay
>under linux?  I've seen several companies that offer K7 linux systems,
>but when i look at Red Hat's web site, they say the K7 isn't supported
>yet, mainly becaus of motherboard problems.  What do you think?
>(I'd like to get one if i can afford it).

I haven't really heard about it.  Anybody care to comment?  It's still
an x86 chip, so it should be O.K., no?  Are the only BIOS's available
buggy or something?  Anybody _have_ a K7?  Any complaints or
compliments?  Thanks in advance.

-Jason Crosswhite
 jason at newberry.uoregon.edu