[lug] Modems AND Linux

Pedersen, Michael J PederMJ at LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM
Mon Nov 22 13:05:42 MST 1999

You should be fine.  However, hardware issue for you to make sure is fixed:
Most computers have a built-in com1 which will need to be disabled.

As for how to use it, that depends on what you will be doing.  If you're
trying to use a dial-up internet connection, minicom is pretty useless
(except for initial testing, maybe).  If you're trying to dial into a BBS,
then you're using the right program.  If you're going in for a dial-up
internet connection, check /usr/doc/HOWTO/PPP-Howto (or a file name very
similar to that).  It can give you step by step instructions for setting up
a ppp connection.  Other programs are also usable for doing so, such as
diald and kppp and xisp, and others.

If you need more help, let me know.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Willcox [mailto:acesouth at frii.com]
Sent: Monday, November 22, 1999 12:36 PM
To: LINUX User group
Subject: [lug] Modems AND Linux

I have an Interel 56K Modem (pin selecable) I'm trying to install. I have it
set for
COM 1 because I'm using COM 2 for MULTI-Port board. Am I Ok with this if my
mouse is a bus type and if so what built-in software that comes with Linux
would
you use. I been playing with Minicom but a little lost on best way or how to

configure.

Thanks for any help on this subject,

Dave Willcox :-)