[lug] e-mail size restrictions

Pedersen, Michael J PederMJ at LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM
Tue Nov 23 15:24:37 MST 1999

You're actually asking one of a number of possible questions.  Here's the
ones you could be asking, and what the answers are (as I know them):

Q) I want to prevent people from mailbombing my servers.  How do I do this?
A) You'll need to read up on your local MTA (Mail Transport Agent, most
likely sendmail).  There'll be a configuration option to limit the size of
incoming email, and you'll need to set that.

Q) I want to prevent people from using my servers to mailbomb others. How do
I do this?
A) Same as the previous question.

Q) I want to limit the size of the mail files which a user can have.  How do
I do this?
A) You'll need to set up quotas for each user.  See
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Quota.html for more information.

Q) I download email from my ISP on a regular basis, but don't want to
download any messages over "x" bytes long. How do I do this?
A) I have no idea.  Can somebody else answer this one?

Those are the possible questions that I saw, but you may have been asking
something else entirely.  Would you mind letting me know in more detail what
you're asking, and I'll try to help out?