[lug] 2 questions

Tory Patnoe tpatnoe at peakss.com
Mon Nov 29 09:21:22 MST 1999

I have been busy this holiday installing Mandrake Linux.  I am a
relative newby and have a couple of questions.

1)  Can you make a boot partition greater than /dev/hda4?
A friend wanted to install linux and a "bootable" dos partition.  The
"Disk Druid" formatter always put the dos partition on /dev/hda7.  Fine
by me, but lilo came back with a "can't find partition in table" error
when trying to add /dev/hdb7 as a bootable partition (Yes we did install
dos on that partition).  I know from "fdisk" hda1-hda4 are "primary"
partitions and anything greater is "logical".  Is this the problem?

1a) Can you run "Disk Druid" after linux is installed?
I tried to run Disk Druid after the laptop was up and running but
couldn't find it.  I know technically this is three questions.

Warning: This is an MS Windows problem.
2)  Can you make Win95 not read a particular partition?
I installed linux on my Dad's /dev/hdb drive which had an existing dos
partition, /dev/hdb5.  Linux was installed on /dev/hdb1 and a few
others.  Everything works fine from the linux perspective, however, when
he runs in Win95 mode it trys to read /dev/hdb1 and mounts it as a cdrom
drive.  This makes the Windows Explorer very slow when viewing the root
tree.
If this keeps up he will probably remove linux. Is there a way to make
Win95 not try and mount the /dev/hdb1 partition?

Tory Patnoe                    tpatnoe at peakss.com
Peak Software Solutions        303-734-5031