[lug] security

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Mon Nov 29 13:26:06 MST 1999

On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, Sevinsky  Joel wrote:

> find my system again.  Well that being said, what should be done from
> here?  Should I just reinstall everything?  That would not be difficult at
> all.

If a reinstall is easy I'd do that.  One of the problems with a breakin is
that unless you were running something like Tripwire before the breakin
occured you have no way of knowing what might have been changed.  A
reinstall would ensure that you are running correct rather than modified
software, and give you some piece of mind.

> Any suggestions on some good reading to learn about security?  I
> have the Running Linux book and I am about 200 pages into it but if I want
> to keep my system running I better do some quick reading on security.

Check out http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Security-HOWTO.html and
http://www.tummy.com/isinglass/.  Then if you have questions post them to
the list.  Kevin Fenzi and the people at tummy.com are members of this
list.