[lug] Navigator 4.7 address book

Tony Dyson the_anorak at worldnet.att.net
Tue Nov 30 00:06:38 MST 1999

Rob Riggs wrote:
> Communicator 4.6 does not exhibit these problems for me at the
> moment, though that may be because I've disabled Java under
> Netscape. Communicator becomes extremely unstable for me when
> the JVM is enabled -- even parts that I would not expect to be
> affected by the JVM.
>
> Try disabling Java and see if that helps.

When I had RH 6.0 & Netscape 4.6/7 installed I didn't have these
particular problems either. I did have problems with Java crashing
Netscape (which did not happen with RH 5.x & any version of Netscape up
to 4.6).

Disabling Java doesn't seem to help the address book problem, but it may
stop Netscape crashing so often.

Now when Netscape crashes it frequently locks-up the entire X-Windows
session, whereas before I was usually able just to "destroy" its window,
remove the lock-file & start again. I started using Linux to escape
crashing UI's, & this is not very encouraging.

Rumour has it that Opera for Linux will be available in beta before the
years end :-)