[lug] How did the Install/Info Fest turn out?

Pedersen, Michael J PederMJ at LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM
Tue Nov 30 13:40:17 MST 1999

Sorry about that, I kept expecting others to start the ball rolling.
Anyway, my overall opinion:

It went great.  It was my first installfest anywhere, ever (unless you count
home as installfest :)

I was part of the demo theater, which, in my opinion, didn't go as well as
it should have.  This is my fault, I think, since I didn't plan enough/bring
enough software to show things off as well as I should have.  Plus, hardware
wise, I forgot my plug bar and my switchbox, both of which were rather
needed.

However, we did show off enough to get some folks curious (including Star
Office and Applixware), but good games were in short supply.  I think that
for next year, I'm going to try and set up a games only machine to really
let Linux show off.

I didn't help out much with the actual installs (in fact, not at all), but
some folks did come by asking for help and opinions, so I tried to help out
where I could.

The disaster and bonus (at the same time), was that I brought along a
Pentium 90 which hadn't even been turned on in a few months, and was
demo-ing the install of Mandrake 6.1 all day (getting hardware set up,
getting linux going with it, etc). Disaster because, at the end, when the
first reboot happened, it didn't happen correctly.  Rebooted again, and it
came up fine, so there was a bonus about it.

Overall, I enjoyed myself, met great people, and thought it went well. As
for actual numbers (attendance, etc), ask Glenn, since he had them, but I
don't remember them.