[lug] Printing in 2.2.x

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Dec 1 10:33:08 MST 1999

One note about the printer stuff in 2.2.x verses 2.0.x...
In addition to the modules changing slightly, the device numbering was
changed. If your /etc/printcap has lp1 in it under 2.0.x, it will be
likely on lp0 on 2.2.x. You will need to modify your /etc/printcap.

Here's what I have in my /etc/conf.modules:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
options parport_pc io=0x378,0x278 irq=7,auto

(of course your irq and io port might be diffrent)

kevin
--

socket> Hi, everyone.  This should be a simple one: I've got an old
socket> parallel-port printer, BJ-200ex, that I use less and less as
socket> it gets older. I print most of my things off at the university
socket> these days, but it would be nice to occasionally print things
socket> locally, when I need.  I haven't tried to print since I was on
socket> 2.0.38, and the change to 2.2.13 made it immediately obvious
socket> that I'm going to have to tweak with conf.modules to get
socket> things working with the more modular devices.

socket> I have no other devices on my parallel port, and no funky
socket> configurations with regard to said port.  (The entire machine
socket> has turned out to be a funky configuration anyway, but that's
socket> another matter.)  Can somebody using a 2.2.x kernel and using
socket> a printer in a fairly normal configuration send me the
socket> relevant lines from /etc/conf.modules?

socket> Thanks.

socket> -- Chris Riddoch socket at peakpeak.com Will provide
socket> pseudo-insightful commentary for food
socket>                    http://www.peakpeak.com/~socket

socket> ---

--
Kevin Fenzi