[lug] suggestions needed

Hugh Brown hbrown at byu.edu
Thu Dec 2 22:05:30 MST 1999

> But don't try Caldera.

For one accustomed to RedHat's style of thinking or any other distro for
that matter, Caldera is different.  There are growing pains as you
adjust to the new mentality (I had my fair share of awkwardness as I
adjusted).  But those pains occur when switching from Windows to Linux
for the first time.  The number of problems that I have had with Caldera
have not been greater than the problems I have had with Redhat or
Mandrake.  I have no experience with Debian but I've heard lots of
positive.

My experience with Caldera has been positive on the whole.  It seems
that each distribution has its graces and its warts, just that the warts
and graces seem to be in different places on each distribution.

So if you have a caldera CD, use it.  If you have a Debian CD, try that
one out too.  I'd love to have about 5 boxes to play with many different
distributions, but I don't think my wife would be too keen on that.

This is just another view point on Caldera, it's not intended to be a
flame (apologies if it comes across as one).

If you do decide to stick with caldera, I have found their user forum to
have some good knowledgeable people on it and of a high caliber (just
expect about 75-100 msg/day)

Hugh