[lug] Qmail Question

Dale Harris rodmur at maybe.org
Tue Dec 7 16:50:40 MST 1999

On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 02:48:29PM -0800, Glenn Ashton elucidated:

> If Qmail dies while sending a large mailing to a list, will it pick up
> where it left off on reboot or does it work in a different way?
>
> -Glenn

Well, it shouldn't die, that would be a bug.  And, most likely yes, it
should take off from where it began.  Course if you ran out of space in
your qmail spool directories (or ran out of available inodes), you could
have some problems.  qmail spools files base on inode, inodes are only
unique to the file system they are being created.  Ran into this problem
once, where we ran out of inodes, and then decided to try and move the
spool directory to another file system with more space/inodes, of course there
was big problems, thankfully I wasn't the one that had to clean up the mess.

Frankly, despite sendmail's problems, I think it is better.  Especially
with the newer versions.