[lug] HD fail?

Andrew Diederich andrew at NETdelivery.com
Wed Dec 8 09:07:34 MST 1999

It looks like I've had a hard drive completely fail on me, but since I'd
really like to get some data off it, I thought I'd check with you folks.

This morning when I came in I thought the roof was leaking on the air ducts,
but it turns out the ka-chunck ka-chunck I heard a couple times a second was
a hard drive.  Since it was hda, I threw in Tom's root boot disk, hard
rebooted (no other choice) and checked things out.  Hdb mounted just fine
(/usr/local, whoopie) but this is what I got when I did a fdisk /dev/hda:

hda: status error: status= 0x21 { DeviceFault Error }
hda: status error: error = 0x04 { DriveStatusError }
hda: drive not ready for command
(got this four times, then got:)
ide0: reset: success

a couple of set_geometry_intr messages, then finally:
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:00, sector 0
unable to read /dev/hda

and the interesting thing in dmesg was
hda: non-IDE drive, CHS=4960/16/63

Now this is certainly an ide drive, so all of this is quite scary.  Is there
any last-ditch effort I can give it, or does it become a doorstop?

--
Andrew Diederich
andrew at netdelivery.com