[lug] HD fail?

Pedersen, Michael J PederMJ at LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM
Wed Dec 8 09:19:03 MST 1999

> In my past experience... unless you want to fork gobs of money out, it
> sounds like your hard drive has gone to happier place.
> Rythmic kachunks/sec
> are usually the head trying to seek and failing.  Sorry.

Well, from that message, there is possibility there: If the drive is new
enough, the manufacturer's warranty might be in effect still.  Now,
virtually any warranty says that they will either repair or replace at their
discretion. However, you might be able to talk them into the repair option
(with some work), which may work for you.

There's no guarantees, of course, but you just MIGHT be able to get the
drive back, with information, under warranty. This, however, assumes that
things are simply out of alignment, and not totally dead (ie: no scratches
on the platers, etc).

If nothing else, if you're on a budget, it's worth a shot.