[lug] HD Failure (related question)

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Wed Dec 8 11:10:25 MST 1999

kenw at ihs.com wrote:

> Just a quick survey if you don't mind - what are most people using
> for backups? Tape, CDRW, zip, ...?

At work I have a Sony TSL-S9000L (12/24 gig DDS-3 8-tape autoloader) which I
inherited when Arcserve on Netware wouldn't work with it.  The backup speed is
approximately 100 megs/minute.  On reading back the tape

My church has an HP SureStor 4/8 gig SCSI tape drive, and it seems to work
fine, too.

I use a couple of scripts - one which creates a list of directories to back up
(it starts with a list of directories to include, then filters them through a
subdirectory exclude list), and the other which actually copies to tape (using
the venerable "tar" (for some reason "dump" bombs out on my computer after it
has determined which files to back up).

Calvin

--
"Hey feller!
I bet you're still living in your parents' cellar

- "It's All About The Pentiums"