[lug] SCSI disk questions

Jeffrey B. Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Wed Dec 8 16:40:05 MST 1999

Stephen Coffin wrote:
> 1) If I get a new, fast, wide [etc] SCSI hard disk, will it work
> with my old, slow narrow [etc] 2940 controller, or do I need a
> new controller?

To hook up a wide SCSI hard disk to a narrow SCSI controller, you need an
adapter.  These are usually pretty expensive ($50 or more) so you might
consider a new controller.

Other than wide/narrow, the other differences are fine.  The drive and
controller will negotiate the highest speed supported by both.

> 2) What is a good retailer (local or mail-order) to buy SCSI
> disks?

I've had good luck with ONSALE (now Egghead).