[lug] weird question...

John Edwards harkerii at sprintmail.com
Wed Dec 8 22:13:15 MST 1999

At 08:41 PM 12/8/99 -0700, you wrote:
>This may sound weird to some of you, but I'll risk the criticism:  I
>heard some time ago that you can break into an NT box using a linux
>boot disk.  My question is two-fold: is this true? and how is it done?
>
>So you don't think I'm totally crazy, I'll give you the background.  A
>friend of mine installed Windows 2000 on his computer and was fooling
>around with the network settings.  Somehow, he managed to lock himself
>out (i.e. he can't get past the log in screen, I think it's because he
>doesn't know the his password).  Other than re-formatting the drive,
>is there a good way to get past this so he can change the information
>so that he can "properly" get past the log in screen?
>
>Thanks.

	Besides Linux, there is an NTFS driver for DOS that will allow you to read
an NTFS formatted drive.
	Supposedly, you are limited to read only, but I've used it in conjunction
with Partition Magic, to re partition the drive, without any problems.
	It's NTFSDOS or something similar.  I haven't had a copy for some time
now, since I don't use NTFS here at home (I keep my NT boot as FAT so I can
read it from other OS's.

John
If Life is just a highway, then the soul is just a car
and objects in the rear-view window may appear closer
han they are.	                                 Meatloaf