[lug] IP subnetting, Firewalls, and RAID

Ian Hall-Beyer manuka at nerdherd.net
Sat Dec 11 01:22:18 MST 1999

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999 23:21:50 -0700, Andrew Diederich wrote:

>IP subnetting:
>he wants to set up a class B on a 10.x.x.x network, obviously internal.
>He was thinking of using 10.1.x.x for servers, 10.2.x.x for developers, etc.
>I think that he'd need routers for that, but if he shifted right one
>in the dotted-quad he'd be OK?  So, 10.0.1.x for servers, 10.0.2.x for
>developers, with a 255.255.0.0 netmask?

well, for starters, 10.* is a class A. But, in the wonderful world of
classless addressing, just setting your subnet so that it includes all
the IP ranges you want to use should take care of your problem.

check out my scripts at ipchains.nerdherd.org.

>The only (slightly) strange thing I want to do with the firewall is allow
>in http requests to a specific web server inside the network.  The ipchains
>docs said a little about it, but I think they mostly said it could be done.

If you're using masquerading, all you need is to set up port
forwarding.

-Ian
--
<cosmo> wow, this is kinda nifty. the Win98 protocol stack is like a chinese puzzle, twist and turn in the right places, and it pops right off.
                                                                   -Seen on EFNet IRC