[lug] IP subnetting, Firewalls, and RAID

Gary Masters gmasters at devcg.denver.co.us
Sun Dec 12 08:52:21 MST 1999

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, Andrew Diederich wrote:

[SNIP]
> Hmm.  I was pretty sure I could use IPs in the class A 10. space and just
> use a different subnet mask.  I've used a combination of

You can.

The only thing to look out for would be devices on the network that
are "thick headed" about net masks.  For example, if you were to use a
Cisco router to interconnect your subnets, you'd have to use the
command "ip classless".  Also, keeping with the same example, you
would want to stay away from RIP version 1, since it assumes that all
networks are using their "natural" netmask.

--
  Gary Masters
  gmasters at devcg.denver.co.us