[lug] How did the Install/Info Fest turn out?

McIllece, Matthew W matthew.w.mcillece at lmco.com
Tue Dec 14 17:43:53 MST 1999

OK, this is late coming but I'm way behind on my email...

Quotes in response to the question, "How did the Install/Info Fest turn
out?":

	"good games were in short supply"
	"I think that for next year, I'm going to try and set up a games
only machine to really let Linux show off."
	"Next year, there should be more to show off, if Loki comes through
with their promises."
	"I really wanted to make it to show off a gaming machine..."

These comments break my heart.  Ed and I drove all the way up to Boulder
from the South side of Denver and showed off our Linux gaming machines at
the fest.  We both had HW accelerated SLI setups and even played Unreal
Tournament (348demo) against each other and the bots for something like an
hour.  We had our speakers turned on so all could hear as well as see.  We
also demo'd Myth2, Q3Atest, and Quake II.  I thought we demonstrated that
Linux has a strong foothold in the gaming client world.  The only big
disappointment I have with gaming in Linux is that I haven't been able to
get Half-Life to run with wine yet.

-Matt