BLUG Future Topis (Was: [lug] How did the Install/Info Fest turn out?)

Glenn Ashton gfa at idiom.com
Wed Dec 15 10:20:48 MST 1999

Of course you have a right to disagree, and I will go as far to agree that
productivity tools are great things to have presentations on.

However, for Linux to move into the mainstream and onto desktops,
particularly in the context of college and universities, gaming is one
area where Linux is going to have to put up or shut up to win acceptance.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that PC gaming represents a bigger market
than all of the IDE software sold to private individuals.  Once people see
that they can do the things that they like to do with a computer, Linux
will become more real to them.

I know a whole bunch of coders, DBA's, and network engineers who fell in
love with computers in general because of computer games.

Of course, there is room for everything in the open source world.  We have
had presentations on various productivity kinds of tools, and will I
imagine in the future as well.  My suggestion was simply that games are a
gateway for people into a wider world, and that if we want Linux to be
widely adopted, and even loved, that overlooking this aspect in favor of
sheer pragmatism would be shortsighted.

-Glenn Ashton