[lug] Re: BLUG Future Topics

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Thu Dec 16 09:57:14 MST 1999

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Michael Deck wrote:

> Another possible future topic would be using Linux for Real-Time Control.

Yes!  I've been thinking this also.  If not Real-Time it would be
interesting to see it doing instrumentation control and data acquisition.
Has anyone compiled the Real-Time Kernel?  So far I don't know anyone who
has been using Linux this way.  I've been hoping to do this myself
sometime, but never seem to get it done.  I did get as far as installing a
GPIB card at one point and trying, unsuccessfully, to compile the drivers
from the Linux Lab Project.  That was one of those short Friday afternoon
ventures that I never got back to.

We did have the luck of demoing National Instruments Labview for Linux at
last year's MiniExpo.  The only disappointment there was that they weren't
actually controlling any external instruments.

Then of course there is always X-10 ...

LOTS of possibilities!

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)