[lug] Linux Networking

George Moreno gmoreno at linux1.tlc.north.denver.k12.co.us
Thu Dec 16 07:17:05 MST 1999

I have a linux box (Red Hat 5.2) connected to a Mac G3 Powerbook via an 8
port mini ethernet hub. I am able to ping in both directions.

When I telnet from the Mac to the server it takes a few minutes to
connect.

I have not been able to ftp yet.

I think the problem is associated with routing.

The TCP/IP configuration on the Mac indicates a router but I am not using
a router in this lan so I think it is spending time trying to find the
router.

It was suggested the linux box can act as a router but I don't know how to
set this up.

Any advice?

Thanks,
George Moreno