[lug] dual boot

winrip winrip at diac.com
Thu Dec 16 21:28:00 MST 1999

Stephen Henderson wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I am new to this board and to Linux.  I  wish to set up a PC with both
> Win NT (Win 2000) and Linux abilities at CU.  It has been suggested that
> the best way to do this is using something called VM-Ware, which will
> enable me to switch between the two without re-booting the PC.
>
> Do those knowledgeable on this topic concur with this.
>
> The manufacturer's name of this software would be useful to help me
> locate it, and the correct spelling if I do not have this right.
>
> Ideas for good Linux books for beginners are also welcome
>
> Stephen Henderson
> Physics / CU

Well Vmware can do what you describe, but a bit more explaination should
help.  Vmware creates a virtual machine (hence the vm in vmware) in side of
either Windows NT or Linux that will run the other operating system.  So it
is resource intensive as you can imagine being that TWO or more operating
systems run at the same time. The price isn't cheap but isn't to bad if
you're a student. You can find the web page at www.vmware.com.