[lug] Gaming under Linux

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Dec 17 09:55:18 MST 1999

Thus spoke John Edwards
> 	I'd like to see an example of this.

It should only require that you

A. Add a new user
2. Add an .Xclients file to that users $HOME directory

In the .Xclients file, add one line:

xterm

Do not put this in the background (ie don't add an & to the end of it).

After logging in, when you run startx from the command line, you'll get the
xterm and nothing else.  Then type in the game name (or fully qualified
path to it if the new user doesn't have it in it's path).

> 	I had the same problem with CivII on my old system (haven't gotten X

Games are resource (memory, disk, and swap space) intensive.  So is
Enlightenment.  Other window managers are less so.  Running FVWM with
CivCTP, for example, would probably be less of a problem.  I do that on my
laptop (with 32Mb) and CIV runs fine.

--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |       I refuse to star in your psychodrama.