[lug] Frustratingly stupid @INC problem

socket at peakpeak.com socket at peakpeak.com
Wed Dec 22 15:08:12 MST 1999

Hi, everyone.

I just upgraded my machine to unstable Debian and have had suprisingly
few glitches, but the ones I've got have been annoying just because of
how simple they *should* be to solve.

I've been using perl modules from the pilot-link-perl package to talk
to my palmpilot, and the upgrade went from perl 5.004_05 to 5.005_03
without changing my existing installation of CPAN modules. (I
think. It's hard to tell, after the fact.)  But either way, Pilot.pm
is still in /usr/lib/perl5/PDA/ and was working fine before the
upgrade, but is now giving me "Can't locate loadable object for module
PDA::Pilot in @INC" when I run my script with 5.005_03.  It still
works with 5.004_05, so I've just changed #! appropriately.

But what is so different with Debian's unstable 5.005_03 that it can't
find installed modules in the same place, despite nearly identical
@INCs?  I'm sure there's an absurdly simple answer that someone can
provide that will make me feel stupid for having needed to post to the
list in the first place. (and yes, the relevant strings are in @INC in
both versions. Permissions are good. The files really are there.)

Thanks.

Chris Riddoch                  socket at peakpeak.com
Will provide pseudo-insightful commentary for food
                   http://www.peakpeak.com/~socket

GPG key 1024D/234551DC 1999-07-15 Chris Riddoch <socket at peakpeak.com>
Key fingerprint = 7AAF 5815 837C 070C 6C70  8A15 EFD2 5860 2345 51DC