[lug] Webgear Aviator2.4 WLAN

Alan Robertson alanr at bell-labs.com
Wed Dec 22 22:12:58 MST 1999

Rob Riggs wrote:

> "Bonnell, Doug" wrote:
> >
> > I've posted a webpage about my experiences with the Aviator2.4
> > wireless LAN kit at http://www.frii.com/~dbonnell/Aviator2-4.html.
> >
> > I am already in Email contact with a person in Texas who got the
> > Aviator running under Linux and would like to hear from others who
> > are interested in WLAN for Linux.
> >
> > I can be reached at dbonnell at breecehill.com or dbonnell at frii.com
>
> I've got a pair of these cards. Actually, all of us at tummy.com
> have these cards now. :-) We love 'em.
>
> One word of warning however. These cards do not work on SMP machines.
> This little fact is buried in the FAQ somewhere. The problem is that
> it is not that these cards don't work, but that inserting the card
> into an SMP machine with PCMCIA and the ray_cs driver installed will
> bring your SMP machine to an immediate and spectacular halt.
>
> I am hoping to work on the problem this weekend, though. We will
> see if I actually have the time...
>
> Also, after two days of trying I could not get the ISA-PCMCIA bridge
> to work in my oldest machine, a P-90. It works just fine in my two
> other machines though.

It's an ISA bridge then?  In theory, I should be able to even put it in a 486?
Can laptops use DHCP through the Aviator card?  For example, if I put it up in
my mother-in-law's house, and one here, and had DHCP servers on both, should I
be able to move back and forth without any reconfiguration?

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr at bell-labs.com