[lug] SQL Server

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Wed Dec 29 12:00:20 MST 1999

I have a customer using SQL Server 6.5 and to be honest we haven't had much
problem since SP 4 came out. It just sits there and goes. The biggest issues
I have with it are:

1)	No JDBC Driver
2)	No Java in the Database
3)	Only runs on NT

#1 is a killer if you think your company has Java in it's future. In
particular, I do a lot of Server Side Java web development. Not having a
JDBC driver locks you out of the data. You can buy a JDBC driver for MANY
thousands of dollars from some sources.

#2 sucks because your SQL Server side programming environment is
Transact-SQL. Transact SQL is a homely, early 90's SQL Scripting language.
It's very hard to do anything very complex. I think the implementations that
Oracle and Sybase are doing with Java support built into the database is the
way to go.

#3 can make the server hard to manage. OTOH, I successfully manage my
client's SQL server over the internet using RAS and PPTP.

As far as VB goes, from the server side you should tell those programmers to
read the MSKB articles on using VB ActiveX objects in IIS. There is kind of
a threading issue. Say the server has 20 worker threads and you store an
apartment model VB object on the session object in IIS. The result is that
the IIS Session (User) must run on that thread even though that thread may
be busy and 19 other threads are free. Microsoft's own recommendation is
that you not store VB ActiveX objects on Sessions. The implication is that
Microsoft recommends that you not use VB ActiveX objects from within IIS.

I had a problem using Visual J++ w/ IIS. Using Visual J++ and ADO caused a
massive memory leak that caused my app to crater after two hours in
production. Essentially, if you are going to use IIS at all you better plan
on a lot of time to do load testing to make sure your app will run in a
production environment. Incidentally, it took MS 15 days to come up with a
work-around for the issue.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
Voice: 303 438 9585