[lug] SQL Server

Ken Scott kscott-list at pcisys.net
Wed Dec 29 15:53:22 MST 1999

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Andrew Gilmore wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't (Microsoft) SQL Server an offshoot of
> Sybase?

Once upon a time, yes, MS SQL Server and Sybase were the same thing. This
was through about MS SQL Server 4.2. Since then, MS and Sybase parted
ways, and the databases are now just "similar", like in the use of
Transact-SQL.

Sybase is available on lots more platforms than MS is (for instance,
Linux, most Unix, NT, etc.), so might be a "better" choice.

Ken

--
><>   Ken Scott   kscott at pcisys.net   http://www.pcisys.net/~kscott

              This is the day that the Lord has made;
              I will rejoice and be glad in it!          -- Psalm 118:24