[lug] Backups...

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at netinfra.net
Wed Dec 29 22:24:47 MST 1999

On Wed, Dec 29, 1999 at 06:55:07PM -0700, Stephen G. Smith wrote:
> Hello Everyone...
> I am looking for a easy and cheap backup solution that will run on 1 24GB (compressed) tape...
> I need 3 filesystems /boot /root and /apps at say 2am backed up and then verified
> with a confirmation either sent to a printer or mailed to a user...
>
> Im sooo lost....any ideas?
>
> This is gonna be for a RH 6 machine and a SCO Openserver 5.0.5

http://www.pricewatch.com for one source.  I'm sure there are others.
Consider one which does compression, but doesn't have to compress a lot (ie:
a minimum 15 to 18 gig uncompressed should do fine). I don't know of specific
ones to avoid, other than IOMega (I've been annoyed at them for years, ever
since they wanted to make me call a 900 number to get an RMA number so I could
send product in.  This policy may have changed).

Software: Simplest, cheapest solution, as  a crontab entry:
	tar -czvf /dev/tape /boot /root /apps | lpr

Next solution: Consider amanda backup software.  While I've not used it, I've
heard good things about it, and am just waiting to get a tape backup big
enough to make it worthwhile (525 meg tape with 19G of disk space still
doesn't work well).

--
Michael J. Pedersen
WhoDP: whodp://earth.activerse.com/pedersen