[lug] Solaris & Linux

Kirk Rafferty kirk at fpcc.net
Sat Jan 1 11:50:52 MST 2000

On Sat, 1 Jan 2000, Kyle Moore wrote:

> I don't know about all of you but I'm working for a few hours today. All
> the systems checked out to my satisfaction but I have to let the users
> test the apps before I can blow out of here.
>
> I'm interested in some opinions on how different Solaris is from Linux.
> I am considering buying a Solaris box if they are drastically different
> just to get some experience with them. I currently use Linux and HP-UX
> and have used AIX in the past a bit. I'm looking at future career growth
> and from what I see more companies that I'm interested in (internet and
> "hip" startups) use Linux for small-medium stuff and Solaris for
> medium-large stuff. A lot of companies use HP-UX but I already have that
> experience.

Solaris is much more like HPUX than Linux.  Whereas Linux is based on
BSD, Solaris and HPUX are System V derivitives.  Of course, every
vendor has to be different, so you'll find differences between Solaris
and HPUX that will be maddeningly gratuitous.

> Do you think I need to bother digging into Solaris or do companies look
> more for general UNIX experience? If so...is Solaris for Intel just like
> the original?

You're always better off learning more specific Unices.  If you're
looking at working in a Sun shop, they're going to expect that you know
Solaris.  If you're looking at a mixed environment, you're ahead of your
competitors if you know more specific platforms than they do.

I haven't used Solaris for Intel, but I haven't heard real great things
about it.  If I had to put a Unix on Intel, I'd put Linux or xBSD on it.
I think the installed base of Solaris for Intel is pretty small.

If you're just interested in learning Solaris, do it the right way.  Buy
a Sparc 5, 10 or 20 off Ebay.  They're a dime a dozen, practically.
I think Sun is licensing single-user copies of Solaris for personal use
free (someone correct me on this?), so get a copy of Solaris and play.

Good luck!

--
_/ Kirk Rafferty - Fairplay Communications - Kirk at fpcc.net - 720.304.0791  _/
_/     Fast Internet access for $14.95/month -- http://www.fpcc.net        _/