[lug] sdsl / adsl

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Jan 3 02:40:55 MST 2000

In ADSL, your upload and download speeds do not necessarily match.  US
West's 256 ADSL usually is 256 down (toward you) and 128 up, if I
remember correctly.

SDSL is usually the same both directions.

There's also a flavor of ADSL called RADSL (Rate-Adaptive DSL) which is
actually what most providers are using.  It simply means that the DSL
line will "adapt" to whatever line length it's plugged into.

SDSL and RADSL can both be configured (I believe...) to be Symmetric
like SDSL.

In some of my original posts I said I had SDSL, but it turns out that
they actually installed me with RADSL and symmetric bandwidth.  They
also let the DSL router/modem "train up" to its highest speed during the
installation to see what I could get later if I want to pay for it.  It
went to 764K/s (and boy was that nice for a few minutes!) symmetric, so
If I ever need that kind of bandwidth I can get it.  (Nice to know.)

Overall, I really love the new RADSL service and would do it again in a
New York Minute.  :)