[lug] Upgrading KRUD

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Jan 4 09:29:11 MST 2000

>>>>> "Elyse" == "Elyse M Grasso" <emgrasso at data-raptors.com> writes:

Elyse> My server is running KRUD 6.0. When I try to upgrade to use the
Elyse> RedHat installation program on the 6.1 CD-Rom to upgrade, it
Elyse> puts up a message window about "Error mounting extf2 file
Elyse> system hda6 illegal value" (this is not surprising, since hda6
Elyse> is an OS/2 HPFS partition, not a Linux partition.)

Elyse> After I dismiss the message box, it puts up a message about
Elyse> scanning for previous Red Hat installations and hangs. (I left
Elyse> it overnight in case it was just being slow.)

Elyse> I use the OS/2 boot manager and can boot to Dos/Win3.1, OS/2
Elyse> Warp, or Linux.  There is one IDE hard drive and one SCSI hard
Elyse> drive in the system

Elyse> The 6.0 Linux mount table looks like

Elyse> /dev/sda5 / /dev/hda4 /boot /dev/sda8 /usr /dev/sda10 /var
Elyse> /dev/hda3 /dosc /dev/hda5 /dosd

Elyse> and there are a couple of HPFS partitions on the SCSI drive in
Elyse> addtion to the i one on the IDE. There is an empty space at the
Elyse> end of the IDE drive because it has too many cylinders.

Elyse> I would rather not strip the OS/2 partitions off the disk
Elyse> yet. (The 2.4 kernel will supposedly be able to read them,
Elyse> which would make salvaging the stuff I want to salvage much
Elyse> more convenient.)

Elyse> I don't think Boot Manager is causing the trouble, but I'm not
Elyse> sure if the hang is happening on the IDE drive (because of the
Elyse> HPFS partition or the blank space) or at the transition from
Elyse> the IDE to the SCSI drive. E: is mostly the swap and spool
Elyse> space for OS/2, so I may shuffle things around a little and see
Elyse> if switching it to FAT improves things. (Thank goodness for
Elyse> Partition Magic)

Well, the first thing I would try is the updated boot disks. 6.1 had
all kinds of problems with installs because it was totally re-written
from scratch. ;(

One of the things mentioned on the errata page is that it doesn't see
OS/2 partitions correctly...

http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/

Elyse> Is there documentation anywhere on how to do the full Upgrade
Elyse> using RPM?

you can't do the full upgrade using just RPM. You could upgrade most
of the packages that way, but there are some things that the real
upgrade does that RPMS don't.

Try the errata boot floppies first.

Elyse> Elyse Grasso

kevin