[lug] help if possible!

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Jan 6 11:43:21 MST 2000

Thus spoke legin
>     i get the following error when i try compiling a game associated
> with mesa3d library. i'm doing testing for rpm's. Such similar problems
> i have faced before.

> display.o: warning: multiple common of `state'
> knightcap.o: warning: previous common is here

This is just having some item (not sure what "common" is - must be a C++
thing - ick) defined in two spots and the linker can't decide which has
precedence in a global context.

> /usr/bin/ld: cannot open -lglut: No such file or directory

GLUT is a high level OpenGL library for simple user interfaces.  The linker
can't find this library (libglut.so) in the normal places.  Perhaps you
have it installed somewhere else?  Or if you're using RPMs, you may not
have installed it at all.  GLUT isn't really part of OpenGL (or rather
Mesa, in this case) and is considered an optional package in most cases.

> By the way what does this do???

In a nutshell:  It's trying to resolve external references while linking.
Compiling just converts C code into object modules.  Linking connects the
modules (locally or in libraries) to generate the executable.
--
Michael J. Hammel           |   We're going to turn this team around 360
The Graphics Muse           |   degrees.