[lug] sending log files to another machine

winrip winrip at fpcc.net
Mon Jan 10 01:37:30 MST 2000

 I'm hoping someone in the group can help me out with this request.  I
resently noticed, after a reboot no less, that my issue and issue.net
files have had a couple words changed since I made modifications to them
a week ago. Only to words have been changed but I don't like the fact
that I didn't put them there. I've checked the log files, I've checked
file creation dates on files I feel someone would want to at least peek
into but everything seems in order. Portsentry reports no unusual
activity, at least the logs haven't been changed since last I looked.
the only services I have open, besides what ports portsentry opens to
monitor, are httpd, ftp, and telnet. Telnet is running via a bogus
deamon that just logs username and password attempts and does not have
the ability to log someone into the system. Ok history is complete on to
the question.

 What I would like to do is every so often is copy the log files to
another machine. Now what would be the best way to do this? I know NFS
is insecure, I could use cron and an expect script to write the files to
a dos partition on another machine, but I don't want to do that. So I'm
just looking for suggestions of the most secure way to write these files
to another machine. Once on the other machine I was thinking of writing
them to CDR so I have a copy that I know hasn't changed since it was
written.

 Over Kill for a home system? I think not.....heheh

Thanks for the help.
Bill.