[lug] sending log files to another machine

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Jan 10 15:43:27 MST 2000

William> Walter Pienciak wrote

>> But, winrip, as for your perhaps-deserved paranoia . . . you do use
>> ssh and tripwire, yes?
>>
>> Walter

William> Well ssh is in the works, it's downloaded and ready to
William> install I'm just looking at the documentation to figure it
William> all out.

are you using openssh? or regular ssh? I would reccomend openssh. It
has no pesky liscencing on it, and the people that do it are really
good about getting updates in fast.

William> Ftp and httpd are the only services I allow
William> in. Tripwire, that's a whole other story. With Redhat 5.1
William> -5.2 it wasn't a problem, however with 6.1 and the latest
William> version of tripwire, all I get are segfaults. I haven't quite
William> figured out why yet. So to answer, yes the system is insecure
William> once you get in.

There are several patches out there for tripwire to make it happy with
the new glibc. A quick web search should turn them up. ;)

William> Gary, as for rsync and the like, I was under the impression,
William> only use r commands if your system isn't connected to
William> anything outside of your location and even then it's a bad
William> idea, from a security stand point anyway.

well, rsync uses rsh by default, but you can easily have it use ssh
instead. Then it's just fine. ;)

William> I really hadn't thought of ftp, I guess I could login to the
William> remote as a non priv. user so files can't be deleted. hmmm...
William> Thanks

William> Walter thanks for the snippet. an area I am going to pursue.

William> Michael, thanks, I may use this as a fail over, a sort of
William> backup for the backup.

kevin
--
Kevin Fenzi