[lug] IBM/Linux announcment

Jason Vallery vallery at colorado.edu
Mon Jan 10 23:04:47 MST 2000

The following is from the WININFO newsletter put out by Paul Thurrott
(http://www.wugnet.com/wininfo)

IBM: The future is here and it's Linux

International Business Machines (IBM) announced Monday that it was making
Linux the center of its computer hardware strategy by making all of the
products it makes compatible with the Open Source software.  Additionally,
the computer giant will donate code from its other server operating systems
to the Linux movement in an effort to make Linux more reliable.

"We will essentially Linux-enable all our platforms," says Sam Palmisano,
head of IBM's hardware group. "We've been thinking about this for a while.
Customers say they want choice, a flexible, open environment. They find this
a very attractive alternative."

IBM's new Linux division will have groups in Texas, New York, New Jersey,
and India.

While Linux has been making headway against Windows, especially in the
press, today's announcement from IBM solidifies the operating system's
status as a legitimate competitor to Windows.