[lug] Re: box building 101 - the bp6

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Jan 11 13:59:29 MST 2000

>>>>> "Daniel" == "Daniel Fisher" <fisherds at lamar.colostate.edu> writes:

Daniel> One note for people putting together thier own boxes, in
Daniel> particular dual celeron systems.  I have heard that intel has
Daniel> disabled the feature that allowed them to be used in dual
Daniel> processor systems, thus an older chip before this feature was
Daniel> disabled is necessary to build a dual processor celeron
Daniel> system.

I have heard that as well, but nothing has been confirmed.
If anyone has an offical site about this, I would love to see it.

I think it's not gonna happen. In order to disable smp for the
celerons they basically have to redesign the chip. If they redesign
the chip, then the entire fab line has to re-tool to make the new
celerons. I doubt they would spend that kind of cash. Especially when
it just means they sell an extra cpu to those that want SMP. ;)

kevin